SafeKuvert is a file encryption software that ensures the confidentiality of your data and provides you with the ability to identify the owner of the data. SafeKuvert is a Windows application that enables you to encode (encrypt and digitally sign) data from any file into a standard PKCS#7 message, and save the result to a file with a ".pkcs7" extension. The encrypted files can be decrypted only on the computer where the private key of a certificate of encryption was saved, but a private key of a recipient's certificate is not required in order to create an encoded file. The digital signatures can be verified on any computer where SafeKuvert is installed. The files can also be compressed before encoding is applied. Algorithms of asymmetrical encryption (RSA) ensure that data cannot be accessed even if the hardware in which an encoded file was stored is lost, or if the file is transferred through public, unsecured computer networks. The application actively uses the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), which is built into Windows, as well as the standard X-509 certificates and the Windows Shell extensions, which makes using the program very easy and convenient.
Some of the application features
- The use of standard Cryptographic Service Providers (CSP), system certificate stores, and standard X-509 certificates enable you to use certificates from any well-known Certification Authorities (CA). These can be certificates already installed or created on your computer, or they can be new certificates that are issued by CAs or Certification Servers.
- The program supports different algorithms depending on the installed CSPs: RC2, RC4, DES, 3DES, AES. The AES algorithm is a block cipher adopted as an encryption standard by the U.S. government.
- The support of the Directory Services (LDAP) enables you to easily set up central access to the certificates of the users in your company or your home.
- Support for Unicode file names. SafeKuvert is a Unicode Application, which supports the Microsoft Layer for Unicode in Windows 95/98/Me Systems. With this support users do not encounter problems with localized fonts and texts.
- The program works in all versions of Windows from 95 (Internet Explorer 4.0 required) to Vista, 32 and 64 bits.
- The program enables you to safely delete files by multiple overwrites of the contents of the files, which makes restoration of deleted files practically impossible.
- You can select different CSPs, different ways of storing your private keys, algorithms of encryption etc.
- By creating a self-decoded file, you can transfer files to computers where SafeKuvert is not installed, and which has no support for Unicode.
- Additional items in the File context menu of Windows Explorer and the icon on the desktop make using the program convenient and quick.
How the application is used
- To encode files before being saved onto removable hardware (CD-ROM, disk, Flash etc.), if you do not want this data to become accessible in the event of the hardware being lost.
- To encode files using the certificates of the receiver of the Email message when the files are being sent through public, unsecured computer networks.
- To encode important files on your computer, when you do not use various smart cards to gain access to the computer. But in this case the private key must be stored on the removable hardware (not in the operating system as it is done in the Encryption File System).
- To encrypt and digitally sign files in operational systems that do not support the Encrypted File System.